Saturday 2 February 2013

Sunshine and a nice breeze = dry cloth nappies

I washed my first batch of dirty cloth nappies (using soap nuts) this morning. They are now hanging up outside in the sunshine to dry. I will bring them indoors in a few hours to finish them off.



They washed really really well! They smell fresh and clean, there are no stains, and they are fluffy and soft. I was concerned that the bright colours would run a bit, but they haven't at all which is great! We'll see what happens when I wash the red one though!

They are drying pretty quickly too, especially the nappies, fleece liners and the muslin squares. The inserts are taking the longest to dry, but they are not doing too badly. With a few more hours in the sun (hopefully!) and the evening in front of a radiator or the fire, and I'd say they'll all be dry.

I have been using the cut up muslin squares that i mentioned above, with a spray of water and Castile soap (I filled a 50ml plastic spray bottle with water, and literally added a drop or two of almond scented Castile soap.) in place of baby wipes. I had a tonne of muslin squares already, that I had finished using, so I just cut them into smaller strips and squares. It was a really cheap way to switch to using reusable wipes, and they are cleaning Deans bum just fine. I find that I need to wet the strips quite a bit to clean his bum effectively, but I have still only used about half of the 50ml bottle in two days. They are also incredibly gentle on his little tush, which was a bit red before switching. The redness is completely gone now, I'm guessing this is because of the wipes, but also the nappies too.

I'm so happy to be getting such positive results with everything so far. I was optimistic about everything working well, but I didn't expect everything to run so smoothly from the beginning. I was expecting a bit of trial and error along the way, but apart from not using enough nuts in my first wash (which have still turned out grand) everything else has worked perfectly every time.

I have also been finding dealing with cleaning the soiled nappies simple. It really isn't half as *ick* as you would expect. I literally dump the poo into the toilet, pull out the insert and throw them all into the bucket. When I'm ready to wash, I pull the mesh bag containing all of the nappies out of the bucket, throw it into the machine and that's the hard part done! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

I'm even more excited now for the Alvababy and tots bots nappies to arrive. In total we will have 24 nappies (10 babyland, 12 alvababy, and 2 tots bots), judging by how many nappies we've used the past two days, should definitely be a big enough supply to keep us going. I hope I'm as happy with the alvababy and tots bots nappies as I am with the baby lands.



Have you tried any of these brands, and how do you find them? Or what way do you find works the best to dry the nappies quickly? I'd love to hear how other people do things.

On a separate note, it's a beautiful day today. Chilly, but the sun is shining down, and there is a light breeze. It's amazing what a difference a little bit of sunshine makes to your mood. I love the sun, it's a pity that I live in a country where there's so little of it!

I hope your all enjoying this lovely day, And having a nice relaxing weekend! I'm off to catch dean, who has escaped the living room for the 50 th time so far!



1 comment:

  1. I considered them but decided against partly because my machine is rubbish and only works on one 40 degree cycle and partly because my mum said she couldn't use them on me because my skin reacted too badly and my lo has the same fair skin as me.

    ReplyDelete