Friday 1 February 2013

Soap nuts work!

After trying two separate loads of washing with the soap nuts, I'm pleasantly surprised with the results!

The first wash that I tried them in, I could have added a couple more soap nuts, because when I took them out of the washing machine they had a slight damp-ish smell off them. I still put them on the clothes horse to dry though and the smell seems to be fading. I think I put too many clothes and too little soap nuts, plus I threw a few towels into the wash too, which I shouldn't have. We live in a very hard water area, and any thing that I've read about using soap nuts in a hard water area states that you may need to use a few more in each wash to ensure they wash properly. I have always used a little bit more washing detergent too while living here for this reason, so that seems fair enough to me.

The second wash I did, I threw about two more nuts into the same bag that I used in the last wash (you can re-use them a few times.) and this time the clothes smelt perfectly fresh when washed, so I'll just stick to this amount of nuts from now on (6 or 7).

Both washes contained grubby dribblers and clothes belonging to Dean and they came out perfectly clean (even the ones from the first wash). The real test will be washing Adams greasy/filthy work clothes (he works in the car trade), if his clothes wash well, I'm sold.

I have yet to try them with Deans cloth nappies, so that will be a good test too. I plan on washing some tomorrow morning, so hopefully it goes well. I have researched other people's results when washing reusables with soap nuts, and have that they are perfect to use as they leave virtually no residue, which can effect the absorbency of the nappies after a good few washes. They are also gentler all round on the nappies, so I imagine the nappies will last longer using them too.

So, so far I'm giving the soap nuts a big thumbs up. Well see how they work out over a longer period of time. I'm really hoping that they will help to improve Adams eczema.

So it's bye bye to Persil for now, and hello Mother Nature!

Ps:

I also bought a new clothes horse today in ikea for €20, it's really sturdy and fits a lot of clothes on it. Happy days!







No comments:

Post a Comment