Wednesday 20 March 2013

Lotion bars

The end result! 


Me and Dean made some lotion bars today! They were simple to make, and turned out great! Here's a quick run-down on the method that I used;

The beeswax took the longest to melt, so it was a lucky accident  that I cut the coconut oil and Shea butter up so much bigger !


I put equal (ish!) amounts of coconut oil, Shea butter, and beeswax into a glass bowl, and simply melted them together over a saucepan of water, stirring most of the time until the 3 ingredients were completely melted and combined.

Should have thought of these photos when I was getting dressed!


I then added in some essential oil and poured it into a muffin tin to cool and harden. I left them overnight, but they had hardened completely a few hours later. This morning I popped them out of the tin, and put them all into a Kilner jar to store in my bathroom.

This is when they had set


See all of the dribbles that I messily spilt on the tin, I scraped these all off along with what was left in the glass bowl, mashed in a very small amount of almond oil and put in a small glass jar to use as lip balm! The almond oil stops it from going fully solid, so it's easier to take a small bit from the jar using your finger. It works very well as a lip balm, and I'd say it will make a nice cream for Deans bum too (I'll let you know when I try it out!)

They just about fit in!


I haven't had the opportunity to use the lotion bars much yet, but have applied some to my hands a few times and they are silky soft! The oil rubs off on your skin, but it isn't too heavy and absorbs in very quickly and easily. They smell lovely with the essential oils (I made two lemon bars, two lavender bars, and two un scented ones too) and I would imagine 6 bars will last us a good while. The  whole thing took less than 10 minutes to do (apart from setting time that is) from start to finish, while chasing after a crazy toddler at the same time! I will update this post when we have all been using them for a while and let you know how they are working out!

I got this recipe from wellnessmama, her blog has been like my bible lately! For anybody interested in going green, I would highly recommend that you take a look at this blog. Just don't forget to come back to mine!

Sarah xx






No comments:

Post a Comment